Yaya Sofia had moved in with Theo Speedo about a year ago. She had been in the hospital, her memory was a little spotty, and so it was.
He took very good care of her. The best he could with Valerie. She was happy.
On Thursday, she wasn't feeling too good and had a pain in her side. When Speedo took her in, it wasn't good. She was still coherent and cracking jokes... but the doctor informed us it was liver cancer.
We decided to do a biopsy to see what was going on. It ended up being stage 4 and she had spots on her lungs too. I really can't wrap my head around what happened, but all of a sudden she took a turn for the worse on Sunday. Saturday was spent with family coming in and her telling them how much she loved them. She was so peaceful and considerate and full of love. I can't count the number of times she said, "I love you."
The kids were all very sad. Especially Ella. They knew how blessed they were to have a Yaya like her in their lives. She will be sorely missed.
My uncle and I had to make the decision to do comfort care. She wasn't in any pain. It was astounding how quick it was. Thea Pam was with us Sunday night and they went home to bed. I was so grateful for the opportunity to stay with Yaya. I fell asleep. When I woke up around 3AM I noticed that she wasn't breathing. I called the nurses and she still had a heart beat. I held her hand and prayed over and over. I am so grateful for that sacred time together. Just my Yaya Sofia and I.
She was very peaceful. I lied by her side. I cried. It was all just so very fast.
My best friend. My call every single night. She gave me everything in life.
To say my heart is broken is an understatement. Everything hurts.
And yet, while it hurts there is an overwhelming gratitude. So grateful she didn't suffer, so grateful she was surrounded by love and good nurses. So grateful she is with her family on the other side of the veil now.
No comments:
Post a Comment