Monday, August 1, 2022

St. Gerasimos Monastery and Leaving Kefalonia


It was the last day in Kefalonia and by now we knew the travel drill, we were going to be tired. But!!! We woke up early and drove to see St. Gerasimos Monastery. It was filling. I felt so thankful to my Yiaya for her strong faith she instilled in my mother and I. The monastery was colorful, extravagant, and highly detailed. A gaggle of geese were picturesque in the background. It was quiet and peaceful. It is said a group of sailors were going to die in a storm but a faithful sailor threw his St. Gerasimos icon into the sea and the storm immediately ceased. He was famous for healing the mentally ill and had a cave he lived in as a hermit. It is said that believes can still go down to the cave, but only if they believe.

My Yiaya loved her saint. I loved listening to her tell me the story of the saints, I can't say that about all her stories. It was beautiful and I definitely felt the spirit and reverence within it's walls.

When we were done we hit the most beautiful breakfast place. Grape leaves lined the outdoor windows to a view of hills with trees and dotted with houses. Kefalonia is famous for its wine. And in this beautiful spot, you felt like you were in Napa, but ultimate Napa. The owners were so friendly and even gave us gifts when we left. So considerate!!

We headed for the airport for the final night in Athens and Greece. The flight was delayed with no information. We were spent with Greece airports. The thing is, you have to go outside in the heat, board onto a plane with no air conditioning... it makes you wonder, why?? Spoiled Americans.





























 

No comments: