Psalms 145:2 "Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever."
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Rally for Education
Let me just say, I am a very "for the people" type person. Mind you, while at BYU I felt the pressure and the mind numbing effects of conservatism... but fortunately we left the state and I snapped out of it. Just thinking about it gives me the willies....
Teaching low income students, making friends with working folk and just good ol' plain common sense leads me to teach my daughters the importance of fighting for what's right. College tuition raises? Cut federal aid grants for students? Cut professors? Cut departments that aren't producing in numbers like social work and the dramatic arts? Yeah... no thanks. PROTEST.
Why doesn't the president of UNR offer some of his $450,000 yearly salary to help balance the budget. I don't see any politicians taking the opportunity either. So boo to them. We chanted. We got cars to honk. We got flipped off. The girls got their picture taken at least 30 times. And we did it. We are for higher education. Today's students are tomorrow's doctors. We need it.
Surprisingly, we were the only children there... except for a little 8 yr. old boy who lost his mother and was crying. Then the police man didn't help him. He wandered off. It was very bizarre. It was "supposedly" one of the largest rallies in Northern NV getting 1,300 people. It was really, rather pathetic. We were in an Immigration march in the bay area with 10,000.... so it paled a bit. NV just doesn't know the definition of protest. We'll see what the immigration march brings in May.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment