Friday, November 16, 2007

A Greek Funeral

Today was John Droutsas' funeral. We went mainly because of his wife Vasiliki. She is just one of those people in life who is genuinely kind and loving. She had a rough life, but she always was good to everyone. It was Christina's first time in the chapel of the Greek church. The stained glass windows are beautiful and there is lots to look at. When Joe asked her how she liked the church she said, "It's maimed."

My mother was baptized as an infant in the Greek Orthodox church. She was very religious mostly because of her Papou Christos and Yaya Irene. She grew up in orthodoxy and even as a teenager became a Sunday School teacher for all the kids. She said that she just thirsted for more and to learn more, but there was nothing more there to learn. Eventually the missionaries came and right away she knew that she had found what she was looking for in life. One thing her mother told her is if she was going to get baptized then that was it. No messing around with God. She met my dad, asked him if he wanted to learn more about her church (to which he thought was quite an odd pick up line) and he also got baptized. My father was baptized Catholic as an infant and even went to a Catholic school in Arizona, but didn't necessarily have a religious family. They were married in the Oakland Temple and sealed for time and all eternity. How do I ever thank my parents for being so in tune with God? I'm so grateful to them and our Father in Heaven for His divine plan. I have happiness and joy everyday because I know my purpose in life and where I am trying to go.

1 comment:

Annie said...

What a beautiful post and testimony. I really enjoyed learning a little bit of your religious history. My mom too is a convert. She joined the church when she was about 16. She, like your mother, was always very sensitive to spiritual matters so when she heard the gospel, she just knew it was true. What a blessing for us to have been born into home where we were taught the gospel!