Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fablehaven Birthday Party- Christina turns 9!!!

 
Well, this lil' chickadee had her birthday party- Fablehaven style.
Fablehaven is a good book, the series though... get longer and longer with each book.
Neither of us has been able to finish.
 
We kept it pretty small and simple.
 
We started out with landscape paintings. In the book Kendra and Seth go to their grandparents and spend a lot of their time doing things like painting until they discover the "big secret".
 

 

 
Quite the artists!!
 
Next was knot tying. The girls tied knots and passed them to the person next to them to see if they could untie. Muriel the witch was bound by magical knots to her cabin until set free by Seth and their grandma.
 




We had races. I know Maria loves to run, so this was more for her. We titled it Muriel's race. In the book, Seth ran in the woods to escape the creepy witch.


 
We had a riddle race. They took a step forward if they could figure out the riddle.
I loved all the creative answers. Not really a game for first graders, but the older girls got a few.
In the book, they had to answer the troll's riddles to get his help to find their grandfather.

 
Lastly, we had a chocolate key and lock hunt. Fablehaven was a preserve for magical creatures, but Seth and Kendra didn't find this out until she unlocked a bunch of locks with keys. In each place there was always a chocolate and at the end, a note that said drink the milk.
I really wanted to get horchata for everyone, but I was in survival mode from hiking Mt.Rose the night before.


 
For lunch we enjoyed pizza, fruit salad and ceasar salad.



 
We had a fairy cake and flower cupcakes.
I wish I would have gotten a picture of party favors.
They were super cute fairy jars and tarantula jars for the boys.
In the book Seth trapped a fairy in a jar, she turned into a tarantula and it had
huge consequences... namely destroyed Fablehaven and his grandfather was captured by evil creatures.
 
Friends!!!
We love our friends. It was so fun to spend time together and they are always so thoughtful.
Christina got some great loot!!


 
I thought it was so sweet Nikki gave Christina a matching best friend ring.
They've gotten really close this year. I think she is a wonderful little friend!!
They have a lot in common and recently started a dragonology group.

 
Tobi is great. She got Christina an annoying furby... but in all honesty, we're all having fun teaching the little thing. Even my dad was singing to it.

 
There's the fairy jar!! We're missing our Lils and Anna. Now that they are homeschooled, I need to do a better job of getting us together!!

 
This little girl is a sweetheart. We were hiking pretty close paced and had the same motto- slow and steady. She is really nice and has had some bad luck with some girls at school. I'm hoping that she'll spend more time around Christina and Nikki and have better experiences.

 
Hooray for birthdays!!
 
And thanks Ram for all the pics!! You're always a total lifesaver when it comes to that!

No comments: