Thursday, June 14, 2018

Sierra Buttes Hike


I do love the outdoors. I remember as a child it wasn't really my thing, it was something annoying. You got bit by bugs, possible wild life mamings...

But as time has passed, I just find myself so peaceful and happy outdoors. It's refreshing, it's easier to breath yet it's breathtaking.


Joe had done this hike a long time ago and it had always peaked my interest. Trying to find the place was a nightmare... thank you google maps.

It was hilarious because we passed the buttes and I told the girls, you're going to climb that.

They laughed. Then asked, "Wait, are you serious?"



Maria was not a happy camper at first. She was completely dragging. She had said her legs were sore from running at a friend's party from the night before.

Come to find out, she needed to go to the bathroom and wouldn't. I won't say anything more of the matter other than all my children communed with nature and survived! And the process was HILARIOUS. Snow was involved and lots of screaming.


We have deemed this hike butterfly hike. There were so many butterflies we couldn't count them.


I carried her at least 3 of the 5 miles.
She did really good because it was a 2,000 elevation gain.... so those little legs of hers worked hard!!! She was a champ too! I'm not going to lie, I may have used the phrase... "No s'mores if we whine." once or twice.



The wildflowers were gorgeous. So much yellow and green touching the floor.



It was nice because even though you have these inclines, you get flat shaded areas too. Not hot at all!! In fact, windy towards the top.



Eli was in his elements. Very happy with sticks and rocks... and snow.



We found a wizard's tree. We don't know what magic was used there, but you could definitely tell it was a special place.



THE WILD ROBOT!!!!! We spotted Roz from our book we read at night!!!


At the top, the views were beautiful. Sweeping and lovely.





Time for snowballs!!!!! I realized on this trip I need to get the girls some poles. They really helped them.



Tha stairs from hell!!! These were easy stairs.... except for the fact that they were narrow and it was extremely windy and they were steep. The kiddos only wanted to do 2 flights and that was fine by me. I'd rather have them enjoy themselves then have some sort of terrifying death experience.



They did super. Slow and steady. They listened so well holding on tightly and finding their balance.



I LOVE THIS PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (above)


Mamings from the hike:
Ella poked herself in the eye with a stick (so blessed she was ok)
Ella tripped on a big rock
Eli had a side ache
Maria had some sort of wonky-ness going on with her stomach



But we made it!! The kids are the best hiking partners!! So considerate of each other and great at conversation for those long stretches when you wonder if you can do it.






We finished up with time to eat and go set our camp.
This place was very yummy! We had delicious fries and hearty food... although poor Maria's grilled cheese was burnt. The kids got to choose milkshakes, sundaes, or cones. The sun was going down and we got to see a deer in the field.





As it was time to leave, I ended up driving by the frosty place at least 2 times. 
THE SIGNS were TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Google maps had all these numbers instead of names for roads.... it was annoying. At one point Maria said, "I feel like this is what it would have been like to live in the 80's. A map, no iphone. Lost."

We ended up making it to our site with 30 minutes to spare before it was completely dark (8:40 arrival at Frenchman's) The drive was just beautiful. I wish I had the right words. There were tall rock walls, lush greenery, and the silence only nature can bring. Sunlight from the dying sun made everything have a golden sheen. As we started setting up... after all my meticulous care of remembering EVERYTHING... I realized the poles were not in the tent bag.

Crickets.
Literally, crickets were chirping.

Fortunately, my kiddos are the most understanding, wonderful children on earth. Much laughter ensued!!!

CAMPING FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey, remember that time mom tooking us camping and there weren't poles?!?!?

Insert that drumming music people play at the end of lame jokes.

Sheesh. I felt so bad. I told them I would set up the tent in the backyard for them, but honestly everyone was so exhausted our beds sounded better!!

Bedtime 10PM. Sigh. What a day!! A wonderful wonderful day!!

No comments: