Sunrise Run: The tourists run here!! I was going to be one of them and not poop out even though the heat and humidity were in the high 80's. There was a heat wave going on in Athens and the mainland, so I wanted to take advantage of running along the Mediterranean Sea early in the morning. I was exhausted from the hike, but energized by the true beauty of this God given earth. Again, if you want to know an island... run it. I felt so much peace in my 10 mile run. Did I have to sleep an hour right after I got back home, yes. It was hot. But SO WORTH IT!!
Bougatsa: Who did I just happen to see on my very last block to the air BNB? My wonderful husband. We walked to a bakery together and got Crete's famous pastry, the bougatsa. We ended up going there daily for the rest of the week I do believe. Or at least 3 more times.
JUMBO- Take 1!!! Crete Jumbo was small but still had 3 escalators. We enjoyed it and got Jody a hat and some other crap that by this point is broken.
Old Town Chania: Welcome to driving in GREECE!!! MADNESS!!! Go ahead and go primal. It's kill or be killed and we weren't going to be killed. We went to a very old and well known bakery in old town that has the best bougatsa on the island. IT WAS HEAVEN!!! We hit a farmers market for some mountain tea and a flea market where a man said we'd cut off Ella's ponytails in Greek. It was weird and freaked her out. Then we cut off her pony tails that night. Just joking!! Ella ended up having her shoe hurt her. We were walking quite a bit and I had to make an extra mile walk to the car to get some shark sandals we happened to buy at Jumbo. Jody took Eli to explore the ancient Venetian ruins and do a photo shoot of my handsome young man!! We enjoyed some shopping and buying the local honey and olive oil body butters!! We saw sea turtles and headed back to get ready for the evening.
Karydi Olive Oil Press and Agious Georgios: The girls had a sister day at the beach while Saul still recovered from our death hike and the many blood blisters that had formed on his feet. We headed back to a place that I had seen on our way back from the hike's drive that just called to me. And boy!! Am I so glad we went back to this small mountain village. The restaurants by the grove of trees that called to heal me weren't quite open for dinner yet so we drove a few minutes to an abandoned olive oil press. The heavy stones and monastery were beautiful, but the view of the mountains and trees was the show stealer.
Magical Trees of Vrsis Mountain Village: They speak. They see. They hear. They give you shade from the elements and make your bodies relieved. The creek was dry but we enjoyed the fresh food of the gods, including snails from the restaurants backyard!! The geese were ready for our bread at the end of the meal and a giant secada landed on Rachel's head. I finally tried the lamb, Jody and Jay enjoyed rabbit.... it fills you. The memory of the food is enough to make you cry. It was quite the day.




No comments:
Post a Comment