Thursday, June 11, 2009

Library Duds and 1 Stud...

We have been to 4 library special programs within the last 2 weeks.

1. Global Communities (as pictured): 1 out of 5. There were 5 children, 2 of which were mine. While the teacher took a special liking to my girls, the activity was counting 100 skittles and dividing it according to a global community of the world. Jody would have absolutely loved this activity... however, for a toddler and 4 year it was a little hard to grasp that skittles represent people. However for 45 minutes, Christina and Maria happily helped the teacher and were even better behaved than the 10 year old boy who was rolling around saying "This sucks." Which... I was tempted to join him in on. However, at this point in the pregnancy I can't roll without getting stuck. The other 4 year old there couldn't count to 10 and left early. At one point they were asking who went to school and the 12 year old girl answered Maria goes to daycare. Ummm... no she doesn't. I told the girl that it was very important to me that I stay at home with them. I know not all mothers have the choice. But I do. And I drive a tar car for it. And I wouldn't have it any other way. She looked at me like I was crazy. But she should know that she could have the choice in life possibly.

2. African Dancers: 0 out of 5. Jody knows the Nigerian lady that does this. All she does is talk. And talk. And talk. And she was late. And she had the audience dance for 2 minutes and was trying to teach my daughters to gyrate. Thank you. I will teach them how to gyrate. She said at the beginning, "No one could really make it tonight out of our group except me. But don't worry. I know how to bring it." No you don't honey.

3. Sydni Sylvester Puppet Master: 1 out of 5. It was basically watching a hippy on meth. After 25 minutes she finally brought out her 2 puppets. But even then it wasn't great. Ugh. Washoe County libraries please.... something!!! Something!!!

4. Bruka Theatre Fairy Tales: 10 out of 5!!!!!!!!!! LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was funny, high energy and they chose Christina to be little Red at the end. Her first theatrical performance!!!! I have video I'm hoping to upload, but so far not working....

2 comments:

jaacs said...

Wow, those really do sound like flops. That is a bummer. So glad you had one fabulous activity. And kudos for continuing to go and be supportive. Even if they aren't entertaining, I'm sure the people running it still appreciate it.

Angela said...

LOL on the desire to join in with the rolling 10 year-old.
wow, so the puppet show wasn't that great? they hyped that up so much!! saying it was some nationally traveling puppeteer person. at least one event was beyond a success, after all that.