Thursday, February 19, 2015

Books Books Books

4 out of 10
Lizzie is a girl in a wheelchair who stumbles upon an illegal monkey trading business. She ends up kidnapped and it's just kind of dark. It moved along but I didn't find it satisfying. A poor cousin is forced to work with the monkeys as blackmail. I just found it a bit too much a children's book.

 
8 out of 10
This was an EXCELLENT book!! It was easy to read in a very poetic form. The story was fascinating and made me want to learn more about Vietnamese culture. It was an honest look at American racism and worldwide culture of 'women are less than men' and how she overcome that hatred. The main character was strong and brilliant. She never gave up. The supporting characters were funny and wonderful. It was an excellent book and one that I'll buy.
 
 
5 out of 10
I was really looking forward to this one because it was recommended by Rick Riordan. But I guess I just have a problem with the whole Ocean's 11 for kids generation. Stealing is wrong. Why are we writing books that are making it acceptable? Why are we glorifying money over hard work no matter what our circumstances?
 
 
8 out of 10
I loved this book. It breaks your heart right off the back and then builds your trust in humanity again. I love how it shows that children are worth something. That they are heroes. That prejudices are horrible and worth being fought. I love the main characters and especially a supporting character who was the embodiment of good sacrificing everything he knew to help a poor old man. Would definitely buy this book.
 
 
4 out of 10
I'm not a fan of making teen pregnancy seem acceptable just because that teen was willing to work hard for their child.... and then in the mean time they are lying to them. I don't like putting ideas of running away into children's head. Running away doesn't usually have happy endings where everyone is safe and sound.
 
 
5 out of 10
This book really confused me. The 4th graders were acting like they were in middle school. Maybe I misunderstood the age. I liked how it encouraged children to not worry about what others think and to make your own pack. I think it was just a little bit too much though. The main character has a baby sister who has Downs and the parents act like it's the end of the world. I hate that. I'm sure it's an adjustment, but get over it. This is a precious soul from heaven.
 
 
8 out of 10
We loved this book! The girls each read it too. It was really fun and entertaining. A girl dreams of being a food critic in a household where the parents don't believe in anything that can't be microwaved. It was hilarious!! And a great reminder to be true to yourself and believe in your dreams. Really a wonderful read. We plan on choosing new restaurants and starting critiques ourselves!!
 
 
 

No comments: