Celebrating Holy Week this week has been lovely. I love taking the extra time to talk about what our Savior experienced His last week on earth.
Palm Sunday we learned all about the importance of palms. Sometimes it's easy to think they just were waving branches- but palms were on the money, no part of a palm tree was wasted- it was a symbol of necessity and luxury. Both laid at the feet of The King.
We talked about how such adoration could turn so violent and cruel. (Sidenote- we've been enjoying on Sundays at my dad's a show on Netflix that chronicles what happened with the apostles after Jesus was crucified. It's been really interesting, albeit glamorized and very Hollywood.) It was a different culture, way of thinking, and time period.
Holy Monday was the cleansing of the temple. In my mind's eye I had the children cleaning the whole house with splendid attitudes. Instead I just challenged them if they saw something that might help around the house, to do it, and feel good about doing something that would help our home be more like a temple. Much better!!
Spy Wednesday we did some reader's theaters I made based off 3 parables Jesus taught in the temple. Poor Nina was out (strep we didn't know about) but they got really into their parts and did a wonderful job.
Sidenote I always review and ask questions about previous days' information. To Ella I asked, What did Jesus ride into Jerusalem on? And each day she responded quite enthusiastically , A BIKE!!!!
Spy Wednesday we did motions to the story of Mary anointing Jesus before Holy Week. I like it because in the same scripture Judas is brought up. Spy Wednesday is all about Judas' betrayal, but I wanted to focus more on attitudes. How were Mary and Judas alike, how were they different?
Spikenard was extremely expensive and probably supposed to be used as a dowry for Mary. Yet, she gave everything to Jesus. We talked about consecration and Maria brought up a good question, "What are things Christ might ask us to give when it comes to consecration?" We talked about health, homes, jobs, life and even things like desires of the heart.
Maundy Thursday was the last supper of Christ and His beloved friends. All day I was struck with thoughts of how I would order my day if it were to be my last. I asked the children what they would want to eat if they knew it would be their very last meal for earth life. Lemon Pasta and Agvolemano!
Eli wanted hot dogs but changed his mind when he heard I'd make Greek soup.
It was a peaceful dinner. Learning through eating.
Maundy is based off a French word that was based off the Latin word for command. And the commandment to love one another was given during this meal. I pray my kids will always love others and themselves!
Good Friday I'm going to take the kiddos to a Black Baptist church and hear my friend DeSean preach. I'm really excited. It will be good music!
No comments:
Post a Comment