When I was born, my parents gave me the middle name of "fun". I've always tried to live up to that responsibility they gave me that day in the hospital. I love holidays. I love Easter especially! Lighting peeps on fire, munching on jelly beans, Easter egg hunts... fun, fun, fun! (Easter grass, not so fun. Too messy and hard to vacuum... that's a whole different post) So while our family does all these fun things, I really am trying to make sure that they aren't the focus of this sacred holiday.
It's hard to escape all the commercialism. We made a simple chart with pictures of Easter bunnies, baskets, eggs, candy, Easter animals and then words underneath how they connect with Jesus. (E.G. Easter baskets are open, just like the open and empty tomb of Jesus.) We read our chart every night before bed. Above the chart is a picture of the resurrected Savior appearing to Mary Magdalene. We are also going to focus on daily family scriptures having to do with the Resurrection. ( I do have to say how excited I was when me and the girls got through the whole book of Alma in 1 month and 1 week. I know the whole concept of quality verses quantity.... but in the case of small children it is my personal belief that the more they hear and the more they see me reading to them, the greater impact it will have.)
I also plan on Easter afternoon (because we have 9AM church) to put up pictures of the Savior throughout our home, play reverent music and have a reflective art gallery. I found the following activity from the Primary 1 teacher's manual really helpful to Christina. You find an object and then cover it. Ask your child if the object is still there, even though we can't see it. (I covered her up, asked her if she was still there... because I couldn't see her) Even though we may not see Christ with our eyes, He is still there. He is risen and is our Saviour.
I ran across this video while preparing for my Primary Sharing Time and thought it'd be appropriate to blog about, on the true meaning of Easter.
2 comments:
I think that, if you are going to include the Easter Bunny in your Easter celebration...then that is the way to do it. By remembering the Saviour. You are a stud. :)
We, of course, dont 'do' the Easter bunny...but...like you, we are going to concentrate on the Resurrection this month with our FHEs and scripture study. Then, the Monday after Easter is when I'm hitting the stores for egg dye/candy/basket/plastic eggs/etc. Aiko and I will put together a basket for Daddy to take to work and share. We might have a fun plastic egg hunt for Aiko as our FHE activity that night. I dont know...it could work. lol.
I told Christian that our children will learn to look forward to the day after the holiday rather than the actual holiday when it comes to gifts and candy. :)
We are so mean. muuaaaahhhhh!
Oh, one other thing.
Yes, we do hike sometimes. No, I'm not some Colorado greenie granola eating tree hugging lefty. lol. Sorry to those of you who are. He does use them for hiking...but mostly for work stuff.
Post a Comment