Monday, June 27, 2011

The Reading List- Today Was Heavenly

The BFG by lwtclearningcommons
Today was a day where I really wondered, why aren't I homeschooling my kids? It's the girls' summer break for the next two weeks. Maria has longer, but with the track schedule Christina will start 2nd grade on July 11. She'll be in school 3 weeks and then get the whole month of August off.... hmmmm....

We had a lovely time covering all the subjects. We had plenty of time for piano and art. We even spent time outside in the garden. Sigh. I heart summer.

I cant stress enough how quick my children are. They pick up things so easily. Christina is halfway done with the BFG and I am astounded at the way she is able to pronounce the language of the BFG. He talks quite differently with multiple syllabic words, and yet she glides through them. Not only that but she comprehends the meaning of larger words.

Christina finished her children's version of Jane Eyre, Magic Tree House Books 1-5, at least 10 Junie B. Jones books, 3 Cam Jansen books and can often be found begging me to let her read at bed time.

Maria loves books also. I love that she is doing so well with her sight word recognition and sounding out CVC words. I can tell she gets frustrated with herself and it's funny because Christina was the exact same way. My little perfectionists. I wonder where they get that from. Maria also has the patience of a saint. She just sits and listens to Christina read the BFG and soaks it all in without too many pictures.

Maria has almost finished her Houghton Mifflin 1.1 text book. which is about 10 stories ranging from Go, Cat to Wigs in the Box.

Christina is telling time perfectly to the minute. Maria knows all the "o'clocks". And today we ventured into literature from different continents. The girls are really loving geography at the moment so we're having lots of fun with different puzzles, games and file folders. It works in nicely as we talk about America's birthday and upcoming 4th of July festivities.

And can you tell how much I love teaching? :) I could go and on about the details of learning.

1 comment:

jaacs said...

That's so awesome! What a great Mama and smart girlies you all are. Also, do you just love Junie B. Jones? Ha! LOVE reading those to the girls. They crack me up.

I need to come visit you. I want to wait until after Elijah gets here, though. Miss you all!!!