Today I was feeding little Eli in the car and I'd thought I'd post about a recent incident. I was at the children's museum and they didn't have anywhere for breastfeeding moms to feed their kids. I have a cover, but sometimes it's a little hard to use, so I'd prefer just a private place. I saw this "work room" and went in, fed Eli and came out where I was met by a museum volunteer and chewed out. It was a room where the volunteers go to eat on break or if there is a medical emergency. No one was even in there.
I was a little put off because 4 children later, I refuse to feed my babies in restrooms. It's gross and annoying. Our society is so anti-breastfeeding it's nuts. Then we headed to the library. I was just "curious" to see if they had an area I could go, and what do you know... they did! It was a dark, dark, dark corner and I was told to use a cover up. Ahh.... supportive.
Am I to the point where I'll just whip out my boob and say suck it? Literally.
No. I believe in modesty.
So then the other day we were at Port of Subs and I did it. I breastfed in public with my support system (Joe, My mom and kiddos) using a cover up. I was so proud. It was my first time!! But then Christina reminded me it wasn't... "Don't you remember Mom, you fed Eli in the dark, dingy corner of the library?"
2 comments:
Wow, I guess that´s why I get funny looks when I´m in the states. Seriously, they told you to use a cover up? I use a burp cloth to cover and my hand if I´m feeling really lazy. If someone like my father-in-law is around I might go for a full cloth diaper or light blanket over the boob but not the baby. I would never even consider breastfeeding in the bathroom and looked at my dad like he was crazy when he suggested I do it in the car instead of in the middle of Sweet Tomatoes. None of my boys would stand for something hanging over their heads while they eat and frankly, I hate dealing with it, too. I´ve done it on a bench on the most popular and ritziest shopping street in the city, sans cover because it was too hot and I´m the most modest of my friends. I wish we were closer so I could be right there with you-- wouldn´t even have thought to ask if there was a place to go in the library. The only time I ever ask is if we´re someplace really loud or distracting for the baby. Sorry for the really random and long comment. I get really upset when I feel like breastfeeding is being treated as something of which to be ashamed. I am fully supportive of covering up and finding quiet places if that´s what the mother wants and feels comfortable with, but otherwise I don´t see any reason she should feel pressure to do it. Common decency, to me, is covering up as much breast as possible when it´s relatively feasible but I refuse to sneak off in shame to nurture my baby. If someone has a problem with it, there are generally literally thousands of other directions they could look. I figure half the people who see me have boobs of their own, a good portion of the other half like boobs, and a good portion of what´s left don´t really care about boobs.
Ok, sorry, just getting back into blog world and catching up with friends after having Jules. I´m amazed at your love for you kids since I know you breastfed until they were older and somehow did it while putting up with dark corners and museum closets. I think it would be good for me to hang out with you and learn a little breastfeeding etiquette american style. Plus I want to hang out with your gorgeous family. I´ve missed reading your blog but am excited to have so much to catch up on.
Wow! I dare anyone to ever tell me to go to the bathroom or cover up. I am not a small girl and it's a two handed operation, but I manage to do it while still keeping myself covered up. I mean, it's okay to take kids to Hooters or have them watch shows with women wearing next to nothing...but God forbid they see a Mom feeding a baby the way He intended for them to eat.
Seriously. That is nuts. Bravo to you for feeding in public. I stay modest and try to find corners (not dark ones, though. lol) but I nurse wherever...and the women around here seem to do the same. In the middle of the library, etc. I might flip-out on someone if they gave me grief or another mom grief. I would have whipped out my boob next to you, my friend. lol
Okay. Obviously I get carried away on that topic. Seriously, you rock. Good for you!
And, I'm jealous that you got to be at Port of Subs. I seriously was craving it so much a few weeks ago that I went to their website to look at franchises. Ha! Not.happening.
Love you all!
Post a Comment