Thursday, November 14, 2013

FHE & SHARE

The other night, Christina gave a beautiful FHE on not judging others. It was really well thought out and she gave excellent examples from the scriptures.

She started with explaining that many times people quote "underestimate" each other. People didn't think David could beat Goliath, and yet he did.

She also tied in how many people don't think Christ was important, and yet He saved us all.

Finally she showed a picture of the temple and talked about how many people think it's just a pretty building, yet inside families can be made eternal.

Now, if that's not impressive enough... she was also tailoring her questions to the different levels. She asked Eli simple questions like "Is the temple a good place to go to?" or for Maria, "What do you think about the quote, don't judge a book by it's cover?" to which Maria responded, "One time I didn't want to read Fablehaven because the cover was scary and I ended up liking it."

Christina tied in that looks aren't everything. It's the inside that counts.

I was totally emotional and it was one of my proudest moments as a mother. To know that my children understand one of life's great lessons.... judgement is God's and God's alone is a good feeling. It gives me peace that they have such wisdom.

I'm so grateful for the church and that our Prophet counsels us to have these sacred times together.

Next note: SHARE
Sexual Health and Reproductive Education

I attended a school district preview night because in 4th grade they start this course. Fortunately 4th grade isn't anything really drastic. They go over basic health, cells and how they change, hygiene and in one class boys and girls separate to learn about their reproductive system. Basically for girls, they learn about ovaries and their uterus. It was great because as I watched the movie, I finally understood how I got pregnant again. :) They don't go into opposite gender reproductive systems until next year. So we're postponing the "talk" until next year.

Christina is so innocent and we have very strong religious beliefs. I want to make sure that at a young age she understands the importance of marriage.

It was just a great video that reminded me of Ryan Hansen for some reason. Maybe the early 90's clothing and catch phrase, "Growing up is different, but exciting and fun!"

I guess randomly the other day at school some girl was bleeding in the bathroom. She had gotten her period and wouldn't go to the nurse, so all these little girls were huddled in the bathroom extremely upset and worried about her because there was blood everywhere. I don't know if Christina was there or not, I heard it from another mom. I'll have to ask her today.

A while ago I had explained "periods" to the girls because they had seen me using pads. I explained all about it... but again, it was a while ago. So when I asked Christina if she remembered our talk on periods, she gave me a look and said, "Of course mom. I learned that years ago. You use them at the end of sentences." Looks like we might have to revisit the subject.

Finally, it was entertaining to me that when Joe and I got home from the preview night I told him that I thought it was sad that the district wont comment on homosexuality or transgender issues. I think that if a child has a question and doesn't feel like they can talk to their parents that they have someone they can. I wouldn't mind at all if a teacher told the class that having "feelings" for the same gender is something people feel, and that's OK. I guess liability issues. But I found it funny seeing as how we are LDS. A lot of people don't research the church's position thoroughly on gays. But the prophets teach that some people are born a certain way. God has created us all. We are all His children and He's given us the power to choose. Yes, the church does state that marriage is between a man and a woman. But the church also let's gay people hold temple recommends and church positions as long as they are living worthy of it. Of course, that means not acting on their feelings. It's a hard topic, that's for sure. But I know the underlining message is to just love and leave the rest in God's hands. Children should feel loved and not scared. It's too bad more homes can't be that loving environment where children feel free to talk and share.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Hi Sofia, I LOVE your comments and insights! I miss you and your absolutely WONDERFUL family!
hugs and kisses! Shirley