Tuesday was an interesting day. We had a knock at the door and I opened it to a man who wanted to sell me vacuums. He said that he'd vacuum a whole room and shampoo it for me for FREE!
SCAMMER!! COPS!!! 911!! Anyone??? Seriously, opening the door for men freaks me out. I need to carry a taser.
So after careful consideration, I let his lady worker into my home to slave away. It was a great vacuum! However, $2,500 is a bit pricey for me. I could tell the lady was tired and offered her dinner. We ate dinner together and a co-worker came by. They were both depressed and just needed a break. We had a nice time chatting at the table and eating. They let loose how their boss is a slave driver, most of the employees had quit and that they work 15 hour days based only off commission.
But here it was. 2 strangers in my home eating and feeling something. Soon religion came up. The guy told me, "I know you are Mormon. I was once Mormon too." We start talking, I explain some basics to the lady... e.g. We are Christian. We believe in apostles and prophets like in the days of Christ and beforehand. And we believe that marriages and families can be for eternity.
Well, then I got the biggest compliment of my life.The guy tells me, "You know... being in your home makes me want to go back to church." Wow. Talk about making my life worthwhile. My whole purpose in life is to make sure my home is a place where love and the spirit can be felt. It truly was a testimony builder to me that God lives and is mindful of each one of us. I pray for him that he will go back to church because I know that true happiness is found with God.
On another note. I was amazed at how even though my carpet seemed clean, their vacuum dug deeper and came out with all those circles pictured above. Made me think that no matter what I do, I can always do better. Good life lessons found on Tuesday.
3 comments:
Jody Lykes! Is that you? Ok, so this is an old friend from Joe's home town. He was friends with my brothers, Loren,Brian, Anderson. I was actually using your website for a sharing time for my brother-in-law on missionary work. I looked at the picture of the missionary, and he looked very familiar... I asked nathan, my little brother to come look at the picture and we really think it's Joe Lykes. If this is you, here is a website of my family and it has the whole Anderson clan on some of our older posts. We'd love to hear from you! Oh, and the primary website is awesome! Your wife seems amazing!
Michelle Anderson Olson
Your post made me feel all tingley- I think that's such a great experience. You're so sweet to invite the vacuum salespeople over for dinner. I remember reading on your blog how one of your goals was to find someone to take the discussions in your home. I can see that the Lord is blessing you to fulfill your missionary desires. So neat.
How awesome. You are such an amazing example. That is wonderful. I hope he does make it back to church. :)
I'm like you, too. My rule is to never allow another man in the house unless the hubbers is home (if they are a repair man and have to be inside, I have a friend come over during that time or I'll leave the front door open...even in the winter. I'm a bit of a freak about this rule, as you can tell).
That is just amazing, though. Really, you are fantastic and so awesome. Thanks for sharing that story. It motivates me to be better about my missionary work.
Post a Comment