Sunday, December 12, 2010

Audubon Exhibit- Free Day at the Museum

I feel so refined when we visit the museum. Such a rich and cultural experience.
And did I ever mention before my daughters are brilliant?


What a treat! We loved all the beautiful bird art. It was excellent because Christina is very much into science and we could talk about the different features and anatomy of birds. She really loved making the connection of webbed feet with good swimming birds. We could relate because we also use fins while in the water.We got to use binoculars and spy at the bird art from a distance, just like Audubon did too.


Maria noticed a painting of a little girl with a bruised eye. She wondered why an artist would paint that. It made for a good segway into art sometimes is there to elicit emotion. Then we were able to discuss different feelings we had about different art.

There was an excellent exhibit on a series of photos from Antarctica. Again, fascinating for Christina because a lot of them were pictures from scientific studies (how far will a balloon rise in air before popping). The favorite for us all was a giant photo of at least 500 penguins all gathered around a pool of water. I asked the girls why the penguins weren't in the water.
Christina said, "There's a whale down there and the penguins know better."
Maria said, "They just don't feel like it. They want to stand."


An amazing day. With an amazing sun set. The orange in the sky was so vibrant. The photo of course does not do any justice to it. I must say that I often take the time to watch sunset or sunrise. It just adds calm and peace to my day. Plus the fact that as I stare above, there is no doubt in my mind that God lives and loves us. Why else would he create such a beautiful world?

No comments: