Who would think that a cave would be so much fun!!
You think dark and dreary, bats and spooks. Yet it's well lit, there are sparkles, and it's amazing to be inside the earth!
Spelunking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FDR commissioned work for young men in the 30's and 400 came down to make this cave a place for people to learn and enjoy.
The history was really interesting, they even had a part of the cave where they married workers to young girls from nearby.
Unfortunately, many people have stolen from the cave and a lot of the stalagmites were broken or damaged.
But still, very impressive when you realize how old the place is you are standing.
Also very grateful for light!!
A little boy at the beginning of the tour would NOT step a foot in the cave. I was really proud of my kids, they had no problems whatsoever.
Old helmets had chemicals to create a flame torch to light their way. I can't even imagine! Their tools were so primitive too in comparison to what we have. I don't understand how they can carve a cave and I can barely use a screwdriver to fix a cabinet.
Which I'm still in the process of.
Since it was the last day of the trip I let the kids choose whatever they wanted (within reason) at the gift shop. Eli got a stuffed scorpion, Ella got a bag of polished colorful rocks. Maria got a horse necklace. Christina got a stuffed bat in a purse.
We also took a small walk around the area. So different, yet completely beautiful.
This is the agave plant they use to make tequila! I loved them!! I thought it was aloe!
No comments:
Post a Comment