This is a little random.
But I was just thinking about when Joe died and our pediatrician had dropped by with balloons and toys for our children. It was really nice of her.
We recently had a family in our ward who had a teenage son die. At his memorial at their home, my little friend from Primary, was given a balloon and told to let it go into the sky. He was really upset about it and cried. I had no clue.
Randomly, the next day, we put together these family home evening kits for some friends, he was one of them... and it included a bunch of helium balloons. He was so happy.
God knows us. He knows exactly what we need.
The balloons that our pediatrician gave us were recommended for letting go.
I remember taking a knife and popping them.
Not because I'm overly violent. Really. I'm not. Except when I see a slug bug and Joe is sitting next to me.
But I can't stand the idea of the balloons popping and then animals choking on the rubber and dying. Why must death beget more death? Who came up with this litteriffic idea?
And why must we picture our loved ones who have passed away as up in the clouds? Baby Joe rides with me on top of my van. We blast our music and sing and he smiles right along with us.
1 comment:
Yes! This has bothered me since elementary school when I read that balloons can end up in the ocean and kill animals who swallow them. It's like not cutting all the little rings that hold soda cans (which, now that I think about this, I haven't had to do this in maybe a decade or longer in my own home...and that kind of makes me feel good). I am also not okay with making them suffer. I mean, if there is a spider...sorry, you crossed into my home and you are getting squished. There is none of this picking off legs or wings on a fly or whatever nonsense people do. Of course, my son is young and I didn't grow up with brothers.
Post a Comment