Friday, May 16, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!!

I think Mother's Day just gets better and better each year! It is by far my favorite holiday because of the beautiful little things my children make for me. Plus, to see Christina singing her heart out on the stands during church of course brought me to tears.

When I woke up in the morning I found 3 dozen long stem roses on the table. It was so extravagant and wow! factor. Joe had also left me a card that I wish to laminate and wear as a necklace the rest of my life. His words make me feel like a queen. I think it was the details he put in there. Like he notices everything I try to do for our kids and he supports me and cares.

My beautiful reasons and meanings in life. Through them, in the short time I've been privileged to be their mother, I have learned love, joy and happiness. And everyday just gets better and better. Thank you ladies. You are perfection.


There have been so many wonderful role model mothers in my life.

Of course my own mother. I enjoy her immensely and consider her my best friend, protector and ultimate supporter. My mother was always there for me. Always. I never cried a single night as a child, because she was there holding my hand till I fell asleep and right there beside me when I woke up in the morning. My mother was PTA president, ran her own preschool, fulfilled all her church callings and always did everything with a positive and energetic attitude. But she always put me first. She never went away on vacations or took "breaks" from me. She loved me and showed me the world through her love. She put me in whatever lessons I wanted and nurtured my desire for talents. She drove me around and my friends. And on that note, she always had a warm lunch of pizza and salad for me and friends during high school. She fed the missionaries in droves. She is an aggressive snot to rude store personnel and outings to places like Mervyn's or Target can be quite entertaining. At 2 in the morning I knew I could call her to pick us up when stranded at a club. Mr. Bushes. At 2 in the morning I knew I could call her to come watch my kids so I could take Joe to the hospital. And this isn't even a hundredth of what my mother is to me. Because of her, I know what it means and takes to be a good mother. Complete sacrifice and selflessness. And not whining about it.

My Yaya. My Yaya worked like a dog so her family could have a better life. She's old school Greek and I love her traditional values. You name your children after family. You pray with a sincere heart and praise Heavenly Father always. You use lemon juice on your hands and oregano on everything. She is constantly giving. She is strong. She is patient and wise. She gave me all the time in the world and my children also. She makes rain with Christina and feeds Maria like there is no tomorrow. She is acquainted with sorrow, but she presses on. I love her dearly.

My Yaya Irene. She had 10 children. 2 died as infants. She breastfed all 8 children for 2 to 3 years each. Work it girl. She also taught about naming children after family... no magazine names.

My Nana. The sweetest person that ever lived on this earth. Never an unkind word to anyone. Always so loving and supportive of all her children and grandchildren. Always accepting of everyone. If anyone had a hard life, she did. But she raised her kids and they all turned out wonderful. She always had the house clean and dinner on the table for her family. She had the warmest laugh/chuckle and was extremely genuine. She always told me. She always used words. She loved me and was proud of me. How very important a lesson.

A big thank-you to all the mothers in my life who show me what a mother should be! You are all grand!

2 comments:

jaacs said...

That is really sweet. I look forward to Aiko singing to us next year. The kids in Primary already make me cry...I can only imagine what it is like when your own is up there singing. Bring on the tissues.

I love your family. Your mother is awesome. How I enjoy watching her not only when she is giving someone a piece of her mind (It's the principle!! I've learned...and I implement the teaching at times...thank you, Chris!) but also seeing and feeling the love that she has for her family and friends.

Yaya is just a saint. I love her to pieces.

What wonderful tributes.

Thanks for the info. I like hearing how you do things and figuring out what I feel I can implement with our family. It is great to have a friend who writes about what she does and explains where she is coming from. Some people get all huffy when you try to get them to tell you where they are coming from. I'm so grateful for you. :)

P.S. Do you think Jacinda is a 'magazine name'? LOL. Aiko is a family name but I just really REALLY like Jacinda and really REALLY didnt like any of the other names in our family (Mignon?) so Jac has her Grandpa V's initials and her middle name also means her Daddy's birth month. I dont know...it is a stretch and Chris laughs at me when I try to incorporate family. Oh well. lol. I do so love your girls names...and your girls are just awesome!

Betancourt Family said...

Absoutely beautiful...your words are inspiring and touching. I'm sure that with the blessing of being surrounded by such amazing women you too have found a place among them. Your children and husband shower you with love because you deserve it...all I do read your blogs and I want to do the same thing so I can only imagine how they must feel.
Thank you for being a voice in matters that are near to your heart. I enjoy reading them and not just because I'm almost sure to have a laugh but because they bring me strength.