Joe and I don't really "date" much. In fact, out last "date" was going to see Harry Potter when Christina was about a year old. So that was about 2 1/2 years ago. We've gone to the temple together a few times... but really, we just don't go out. We'll play the occasional game of Fib Finder...
But sometimes it causes more trouble than it's worth. For example, you ask each other questions and then if you think they're lying, the Fib Finder will tell you the Truth by the touch of a button. Supposedly it's not as accurate as a lie detector test, but in my heart I am still grateful for it. I asked Joe if he would ever dress up as a pirate wench for Halloween, he said no, I challenged him and the Fib Finder found him to be lying!!!!! I won't even mention what the results were when asked if he would ever love pat a cop's tushy.... Thank-you Pressman Toy Corp. Thank-you.
But I digress. We went on a date on Saturday Night. The girls were in bed at 8:00PM. Papa and Yaya were wonderful and came over to make sure the girls were safe and sound (million thanks!) and off we went.... drum roll please... to a stake youth dance as chaperons!!!
How wonderfully awkward and entertaining. You really just can't pay for such amusement. We reminisced about how Joe would always ask every girl in the room to dance and his friends would be making out with girls in the bushes. How he was always the head of the conga line. Then as Aqua's Venga Bus played, a tear came to my eye as I remembered Mr. Green Eyes in Africa dancing his heart away like there was no tomorrow, Oh how the makers of MTV's The Grind would have been proud.
My favorite Chaperon was an ex-Marine Asian man who does audits for the county. He was in his suit and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a general authority. He just had this presence... I asked him if he would do the chicken dance with the kids for $4 and he rejected. Elegantly. There was also one other couple that just sat the entire time and looked extremely bored. I don't know why. There was so much excitement all around.
Boys were chasing each other around the gym... I so wanted to trip one, but I didn't. There was drama between boyfriends and girlfriends. Kids trying to skip out into different rooms. Confiscated poppers and mild explosives. Levitation of sorts... a girl lies down on the floor and the boys use 2 fingers to try to lift her up. 14 year old girls running away into the hall as soon as a slow song started. A solo dance rendition to Thriller. And in finale, 2 young boys hanging on to another boys neck as he twirled them around like a helicopter, they fall to the ground and there is possible blood.
Ahhh... the joys on teenagers. I think the picture I posted really just describes what we were experiencing on our date.
So while Joe and I patrolled the halls and hovered over couples and I wished I would have had a tazer... I thought, what a wonderful date! We were thinking about how mild it was compared to some of the BYU dances we went to. Seriously, these kids were better behaved than we were in college! Thanks again Papa and Yaya!!! A good time was had!!

4 comments:
Ha ha! This is pure entertainment! Thanks for letting us all re-live our church dance days. What a hoot!
Oh that is just too funny. lol. I'm sure that we would be at one of those dances if Chris were still in YMs. Like you, I would have loved it and enjoyed the people watching. Of course, Chris doesnt dance (which is not to say that he wont...because, believe me...he will) but we would still have fun.
Date nights are always sure to be amusing when you have LDS youth around. They crack me up.
okay, my question is what did you type into google to find that picture? yeay for date night. Remember when we snuck me out of Monica's house by saying Ashwini was suicidal just so that we could go to a dance. Awesome.
answer: troll
Post a Comment