Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Get to Santorini and SURVIVE THE ABSOLUTE WORST MOUNTAIN ROAD IN THE WORLD


We woke up and managed to get to the Ferry on time. I was worried about the van being late, but it was right on time. Needless to say, the ferry to Mykonos and the ferry to Santorini are tourist ZOOS. It really is a giant shit show/cattle herding extravaganza. You basically get on, hope you didn't lose a child, and then go buy Boughatsa, coffee, and chill. You try to go to the bathroom and even as huge as the ferry is, you still wobble. But it's comfortable, and you await the next adventure.

And adventure it is. We needed to rent 2 cars on Santorini. Jay was good to go, and I was going to try my best at the airport or nearby. LESSON LEARNED. ALWAYS RENT BEFORE AND GET A CONFIRMATION EMAIL with confirmation number. Jay and I headed to airport while Jody, Rachel, and the kids headed to the AirBnb. AGAIN NO ADDRESS. Just a google map pin and "title"- Home of the Lilies. Which was odd because there were no lilies. Overall, we splurged on this one and we got what we paid for. It was a beautiful, modern home with all the amenities, a gorgeous pool and deck to relax on, and close to Thira, one of the main towns on the island. We got a very helpful host, almost too helpful, and some great tips on where to eat and what to do. There was a picture of a naked woman in the master bedroom that everyone enjoyed and just plenty of space. And space is what you need when you are together 24-7. Ha!

Back to the airport and ride from the ferry to Thira. You are shuttled onto a bus. A big bus. A bus the size of a giant bus. And the road is tiny. As tiny as an anorexic model not willing to eat dessert, or any meal for that matter. OK. So the question is, how do you get these overloaded massive buses on this tiny road that is barely 2 lanes (no divider) up the big BIG BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG twisty roaded mountain? It felt sheer vertical and the panic I felt rivaled no other in my life. I was praying for 20 minutes straight for the safety of my family. I have dangled off the cliffs of Yosemite and felt safer than those 20 minutes of sheer terror. How do people make it? Nothing but God's power and will. That's how.

Once to the top I vowed I would never go on that road again in my, and I shall not.

Santorini is a tourist spot. We were able to get our rental car, that was a beaten up piece of junk. But at this point in the trip, it was nice to have a car again! We felt mobile!! I stopped at the grocery store on the way home. Santorini had the worst quality water by far of all the spots in Greece. We were able to relax because traveling between islands is quite stressful... I had no clue how much work it would be!! We swam, rested, got ready for dinner and were ready for another 2 hour European meal.

It worked out great because our Airbnb location was VERY CENTRAL!!! Super easy to get to Thira and all the restaurants in town, but also all the cool places on the outskirts of town.


























 

No comments: