It was our last day in Athens and I noticed .4 miles away from our Airbnb was a laundry place. While the kids rested, we would make a quick trip and get it done, easy peasy... maybe 2 hours tops.
Insert Greek Taxi Cab driver from hell. THAT IS A NOPE! Somehow the guy, whose voice volume is shouting at the top of his longs, max stressed out, manages to take us 5 miles away from where we were supposed to be. He drops us off in an alley and says you're almost there, I can't get closer. It's quite a beautiful area of shops. We notice we are back by the Parthenon. And what can you do!! You just make the most of it. So here we are in a super touristy area, with 2 big bags of everyone's laundry and we start walking. Sure enough, there is a laundry place... pretty nice, and we stick everything in. We could have stayed and made it boring, but we decided to live a little and explore while it washed. We had 45 minutes.
Jody got a fish pedicure. I didn't have the nerve. He described it as uncomfortable little electric shocks. It was only $1o and his feet did look way cleaner after. I walked around and looked in shops. I realized I really do love clothes. Expensive clothes. And I'm not willing to spend over $200 on a dress.
We headed to a restaurant, and boy was it hot out! It was beautiful on the inside with bright fuchsia flowers hanging from the ceiling. We ordered our food and sat on the patio by these hurricane misters. It helped a little! The guy who was our waiter said it was like being on a boat. We ordered our food and I switched all the wash into dryers. It worked out nicely!! We then ate a delicious meal together. Laundry date in Athens!!!
We were able to finish the laundry, fold it and then proceeded to try to get a taxi cab driver. We noticed down the hill a bunch of taxis and met a very friendly one who knew we were American and asked if we were from California. We were going to take his taxi until he wanted $40. $40!!!! I was so mad. $40 for 5 miles. We were close by a metro stop and I was ready to go but Jody was being a baby.
We were by a beautiful cathedral so we took a stop to peek inside. Jody watched the laundry while I went in to feel close to my Yiaya and then we switched. It truly was a magnificent Greek Orthodox church. While we had some shade, again Jody insisted on getting a cab instead of the easy and MUCH CHEAPER way. We attempted UBER, but it was taking forever. We managed to snag our only normal taxi cab driver of the entire trip. He was polite, didn't yell and got us home in one piece. While we were waiting for him, we did manage to have some guy try to sell Jody brand name designer gear. I was over it and quite blunt with the guy to go away. 6 hours later we were back to the Airbnb, ordered some pizza for the kiddos, and called it a day. We had to go to bed early because in the morning we sailed to Mykonos!!
No comments:
Post a Comment