Wednesday, June 11, 2008

16-18 Hours In the Wilderness

Let me just say that if I could run around in a cotton dress with a flower in my hair and be barefoot all the time, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Breathing the fresh air, driving a mini-van and camping every weekend, singing songs on a guitar by the campfire... heavenly. I'd do this and be happy.
But things get in the way. Bugs, dirt, smoke, did I mention dirt? cold nights... Odd men that camp in groups together. On a Monday day. Toilets that don't flush.

5 minutes into the trip... not even joking.
I really am a camper at heart. It's just doing it that isn't so great. I love the views, the fresh air, the sunshine. We went to Truckee on Monday after Joe's "excursion" to SLC. (He will make his first appearance guest blogging! Soon!) It was really weird, because I've always considered Christina a little me, but out roughin' it, she was a stranger to me. She was out playing in the shrubs with the ticks, digging in the dirt, running in the lake, exploring, gathering sticks like a wilderness pro... Joe is more of a camper. I guess she takes after her dad in that respect. Although he does say he only camps if he has too.



Maria did not like camping. She played in the dirt, but wanted to be held the entire time. Including bed time. So it was like when she was a newborn, but add 20 pounds and my chest feels like it will collapse...even though my arms never mind holding her. Ahhh... if only she would want to be held her entire life! They went to bed at 10 ish and woke up about 5ish... possibly earlier. Needless to say, Mommy was done and ready for a shower at 9ish. Please don't get me wrong. We had a wonderful time! It's just the dirt.


** I did forget to mention that Joe taught Christina how to make smores. We always talk about them, but this was the first time she actually got to do it. At first, she just started eating marshmallows from the pack, then Joe told her we had to put them in the fire. So she starts throwing them in the fire. Then he teaches her how to put them on a stick. Which she did beautifully! Although one did catch on fire and somehow ended up on my sweatshirt which in turn singed it. All worth it! Delicious!!

4 comments:

jaacs said...

Ah, S'mores. We did it over a candle about a month ago. Aiko loved setting then on fire and Chris just kept encouraging it.

Thank you Daddy!

Camping!! How fun. Sort of. I dont know. I want to camp but we dont have the equipment. We have talked about doing it, though. I think we will wait until the end of the season and buy things cheap. Chris loves to do it (when it is for fun and not for work in below zero temps...not cool) and I should probably jump on that band wagon since I'll have to sooner or later.

jaacs said...

And -

Congrats to Joe!!

And -

I LOVE Christina's face in that one picture of her sitting in the chair with her little hat on. She is adorable.

Maria...you are just too cute for words.

I love your girls.

Natalie N said...

How fun! We're going camping at the end of the month for 1 night and one night only. I agree with you...it's great to be out in the clean air and warm sun etc...but all that DIRT does get a little annoying. Great pictures; thanks for the update!

RamyaF said...

In the words of Lateef, "why would I want to act like I'm homeless and camp" I concur.