Saturday, June 14, 2008

Daddy Bobby

My dad is the keymaster. I'm sure I've talked about this before. I'm so proud that he is the keymaster. He's not a lawyer, he's not a doctor, he didn't finish college. He gave it all up for me. He holds to the key to my heart forever. Along with every single key to the Reno, NV main post office, which are supervised closely in his wire caged, gun stored, work enclosure.
My dad lived in the bay area most of his life, but the time came when he moved to Reno. He worked as a bagger and checker at Raley's, with my Yaya, and soon became friends with my mom. She had been recently baptized into the LDS faith and invited him to take the discussions. He followed suit. I always am in awe of their faith.

My dad worked hard my entire life and I never wanted for anything. I truly have lived a choice life. My dad always encouraged and supported me. I was never really as grateful as I should have been, but he stuck in there with me. He saw me make many mistakes, but he did nothing but love me. He makes me feel like I have infinite worth. He taught me consistency, he taught me sacrifice. He is my calm when the sea is awry. I think though, one of the greatest things I have learned from him is how to hold it together, even when you're tired. Working on graveyard, balancing his calling at church, spending time with family and for personal study... all on minimal sleep is truly a great accomplishment.



I love that he was there for Jody, when our engagement seemed to be quite stressful. Joe took him out in his 1979 Chevy Cavalier, "the champ", that shook for 2 whole minutes after the car was turned off, and told him everything would be alright. He never judged Joe, he loved him right away. I love that he adores my daughters and that they always run straight to him with arms in the air. I think they'd let him hold them 24-7 if possible. He is the best grandfather and father anyone could ever pray or ask for.

One last thing. My dad knows everything. I could ask him any question on earth, and he'd come up with an answer. He may just be pulling it out of thin air, but he does so convincingly. And I love that about him. It's entertaining.

No comments: