Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Do you think we should put on a movie?

Today I was at Yaya's and she tells me about a cartoon she taped for Christina. Should we put it on? No thank you!! Instead we cut out pictures from a Michael's add and made a house for our latest obsession Mr.Mistoffelees. (Which interestingly enough, when Memory comes on Maria just sings away and raises her hand in the air... I'm so proud) (Also, as a side note, do you remember Ramya when we went with Green Eyes in Africa to a-I want to say 7th grade talent show?? And that one little girl sang the 3rd verse of Memory... Touch me, it's so easy to leave me?? And how me mocked her mercilessly? Ahhhh Ryan.... how hot hell would have been. But now perhaps the orphans have redeemed him...)

Ok sorry. So we made a house for the cat. Then we took little scraps of paper and played the name game. I wrote each letter of Christina's name on a scrap. It's all in the presentation. Excitement. I told her that we were going to help the sad, abandoned letters find their way to the right place. They were lost and we would help them go to the right spot. I then would name a letter, she'd find it and put it in order. There was cheering and sobbing on the letters part. Then she rescued them from a very hungry bear (my hand in claw shape). She was so excited to save them, she started screaming. Then she even hit my hand as I swiped up a letter from under her, shouting, "You bad bear! Let my friend go!! Let it be with it's family!!" So, we practiced letters, a fun time was had. And after, she took those tiny scraps of papers and played with them for another 45 minutes. (I kid you not) Feeding them, taking them to the bathroom when they had "the urge", putting them down for nap, avoiding the cave where the bear was, playing in a park (yeas... lots and lots of fake flowers to make a park out of at Yaya's) etc... even eventually dying. Poor letter R.

I love that she is so extremely creative.

So no, I think we'll pass on the movie. Life is too short to be glued to the boob tube.

4 comments:

RamyaF said...

Okay, seriously, I have no creativity and hope my daughter doesn't end up like my brother, dense. And yes, I do remember that talent show and "memories". Why did we even go to that is MY question. Christina is so wonderful and I really can't wait to see Maria again.

jaacs said...

I feel like an inferior mother. Which I am, I know. :) Here I just post about cute little cartoons and you talk about passing movies up.

*sigh*

In my defense, I don't allow my kids (well, Aiko for now) to watch cartoons all day long...or even for hours. There are just cute little things here and there. Extreme moderation with TV is the rule in our home.

That game sounds like it was fun. I play matching games with Aiko and she adores them as well. Why do we not live closer together. Our girls would have a blast together.

Once I write my million dollar children's book (the idea of which has yet to come into my brain) I'll be sure to remedy this distance situation. :)

Love ya

jaacs said...

Oh hey, get this. Aiko can spell her name and enjoys saying it over and over again all day. Sure, it is only four letters...but still. Those brainy Asian genes are kicking in for sure. LOL.

Natalie N said...

oh Wow. If only all of us mothers could have a fraction of your energy and creativity! I remember how you were always coming up with exciting things for the kids to do in nursery...acting like animals, pretending to visit the park...etc. Please keep these posts coming. We can all benefit from your creative teaching!
Take care!