Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Garden of Earthly Delights- Bosch

This image is in the public domain because its copyright has expired.
This applies to the United States, Canada, the European Union and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 70 years.

I took a Humanities class with Joe while we were dating at BYU and of course flourished in the subject. I am artsy fartsy, I crave culture... although really artsy farsty culture would be an oxymoron. Like Cultural Reno. But I digress... yet again.

We studied this painting and I always loved it... perhaps because it reminded me of Where's Waldo books. I know. How is it possible I got an A in the class barely studying, comparing major historical works of art to Martin Handford. And Joe, a meager C+ working his tail off. Yet, I do feel I should mention he was the one on full-ride scholarship... not me!

So Bosch created this triptych (1510 ish) to give his portrayal of paradise, earth and hell. And I post it and meditate on it for 2 reasons. 1. Joe has been gone now for 3 days (2 more to go)... HELL. (I exaggerate. I know. I just miss him though!) and 2.We live amidst fire and smoke... HELL. As the wind blows all the smoke from the California (some 800 right?) fires, I am finding it hard to breath, especially in a sweltering home that has no AC. Woe is me, my little over dramatic self!

4 comments:

jaacs said...

I like the new background. It is pretty. We are all still miserable and seeing our docs today. Chris has already been and I have an appt for Jac about an hour after mine. Small fortune in co-pays and meds...but...alas...I'm grateful for insurance.

I hope this time without the hubby/daddy goes by quickly. I know it is much more fun when they can be home. :)

thebohans said...

What, NO Ac? ???????? Aren;t you like in Nevada or something???

Natalie N said...

Amen... the air here is killing me! Sorry that it is sweeping over to you guys. I hope Joe got home safe and sound!

jaacs said...

Did I tell you that Chris and I were thinking of leaving the kids to you if we die? lol.

I'm not even kidding. You would just have to handle our families and their randomness and lack of communication. :)

Not to worry, wills haven't been changed. yet. muaaahhhhhh.